Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Work in progress

I have one leg warmer left to make for Fin. This yarn was given to me a long time ago and I'm not sure what it is. I do know that it is at least part Alpaca, very soft!! Should be comfy against Fin's legs.

Some Christmas presents in the making....

Another Fin baby item!! Diaper cover #1. Pattern by Vanilla from Raverly!! I love this pattern! It is well written and super easy to follow!!!

Friday, November 13, 2009

The dye!!

The skein on the left (the darker one) had been previously dyed with yellow dock, but I found the color to be a bit drab. (I don't think I did it quite right because I have seen nice yellow dock color before) The skein on the right was white when it went into the dye pot.

The littlest piece of fleece was done as a tester while I was cooking the lichen and it came out supper bright!!! I was kind of expecting it all to be this bright but I guess I need more dye stuff for that to happen. All in all I am happy with the colors.
Note: I mordanted the yarn with Alum and cream of tartar, the fleece is unmordanted.

My camera doesn't do the colors justice....:(

Thursday, November 12, 2009

While the baby sleeps...

...Mama rummages through her dye stuff and finds a bag of lichen that she harvested when they first moved to Klamath Falls, not knowing if it had any dye in it...

Mama cooks the lichen on the stove stirring it occasionally and filling the house with the smell of the woods!!! Yummy!!!

and the results I'll show tomorrow!!!!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Emelina Models a Crown

Last week when my little niece was here visiting I tried on these crowns I had made. She wasn't the stillest model out there but she was about the cutest!!! The crowns fit her well and I could tell that they would stretch to fit bigger children!! I am excited at how beautiful they turned out.

Monday, November 9, 2009

A knitting project complete

I started this hat before Fin was born and am so excited to have it finished. I had to get some help figuring out how to sew it up in back. I couldn't make heads or tails of the directions. I got the pattern from Raverly and it was one of the hardest patterns I have ever done, and it's not perfect... I would like to do another one out of wool. I just purchased some lovely Merino wool that I might try out. I used 100% silk dyed which I dyed with onion skins!! I really like the color, I deep yellow with hints of green and brown!

I am hoping to take up a more consistent approach to my blog entries.... so stay posted for more updates!